LT&C, as engaged in linking actors for nature protection and tourism, likes to make its members and supporters aware of a relevant knowledge platform for marine protected areas (MPAs): What since 1999 were the MPA News proceeds now as MPA Help under the umbrella of OCTO (Open Communication for The Ocean). This new discussion list will allow MPA professionals worldwide to share insights and resources, with a particular focus on the practical ‘how-to’ questions of MPA planning and management. OCTO encourages you to use MPA Help to get community input on critical issues your MPA is facing. They will also occasionally use the list to send out original content similar to what was covered in MPA News.
Through their broad suite of tools and communities, OCTO aims to break down barriers to knowledge – empowering ocean professionals to apply best practices and science worldwide. See in the following the latest example of their messages:
Dear MPA Help(ers),
Happy almost-end-of-2021! We are sending out this MPA Help Message Board early in the week because there is a webinar coming up on Thursday. I (Sarah) will be out of the office for the next two weeks, so this may be the last Message Board of 2021. We look forward to starting them up again in 2022. As always, please send your questions and announcements for the community to email@example.com.
This week’s messages:
- MCI announces 2021 Blue Park Award Winners
- Webinar: An Analysis of China’s Marine Protected Areas (December 16)
- Funding available for MPA management costs for highly-protected MPAs in Mediterranean
- New book describes peace-building solution offered through the establishment of MPAs in South China Sea
- OCTO webinar: Never let a good failure go to waste: Learning from conservation failure (January 25)
- OCTO webinar: Marine Connectivity Conservation “Rules of Thumb” for MPA and MPA Network Design (February 8)
The OCTO Team
Sarah Carr, firstname.lastname@example.org
John Davis, email@example.com