The marine conservation and travel magazine SEVENSEAS featured in its June edition the LT&C-Example Seychelles. Seychelles is an archipelago of 115 islands in the Indian Ocean which is renowned for its unique flora and fauna, half of the land area being protected as nature reserves and the government has committed to protecting 30% of its Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) of 1.3 million square kilometers until 2030. Tourism is one of the major pillars of the economy and plays a crucial role in conservation. The Seychelles Sustainable Tourism Foundation (SSTF) is a Seychellois NGO which acts as a connecting platform for tourism stakeholders in Seychelles, facilitating partnerships and joint initiatives for sustainable tourism.
The Seychelles Sustainable Tourism Foundation is one of meanwhile 29 LT&C-Examples, where tourism is supporting protected areas. SEVENSEAS is an important partner of LT&C. Their mission is to connect individuals and resources inside and outside of the conservation community to further the shared goal of preventing habitat destruction and biodiversity loss. Since their creation, they have been achieving this mission through:
- Running community building projects in 174 countries
- Engaging student ambassadors in over 50 universities
- Forming strategic alliances and partnerships with over 200 professional organizations
- Publishing over 500 authors, photographers, and researchers
- Sponsoring dozens of beach and community clean-ups
- Providing free scientific resources for educators
- Promoting over 20 tailored conservation job postings per week- totaling over 1000 opportunities per year
- Inspiring and educating their readers through rich imagery, engaging content, and a compelling conservation message
- They do all of the above FOR FREE because they care about the future.
However, it is not certain, how long SEVENSEAS can continue to publish for free. Efforts need to be made to secure their future development for the benefit of the marine environment.
Find the latest articles on SEVENSEAS Media here.